Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Wishlist Wednesday: Tahoe Rim Trail Endurance Runs

I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about races.  Seriously, if I could race very weekend, I would. On Wednesdays, I post about races that I wish/hope/dream I will/could run in the future.  Whether or not I am physically capable of completing some of these races is a different story altogether!

Wishlist Wednesday: Tahoe Rim Trail Endurance Runs 50K / 50M / 100M

I've never been to Lake Tahoe.  In fact, I've never really wanted to go...until I saw the pictures for this race:

Photo by Jason Chan

Photo by Jason Chan

Photo by Jason Chan

Photo by Jason Chan

Stunning.  Breathtaking.  Sign. Me. Up.

Except...*gulp*...this is not an easy race.  Those beautiful mountains?  Killer.  From the race website:
This Tahoe Rim Trail Endurance Runs take place on high elevation alpine and sub-alpine forest trails and dirt roads in the Carson Spur of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. The event is located on the northeast side of Lake Tahoe. All distances begin and end at the Spooner Lake State Park, which is at 7,000 feet. The highest point of the event is just below the 9,214 foot Snow Valley Peak (which also provides one of the best views on the course). The low point on both courses is at the bottom of the now "infamous" Red House Loop (A Taste of Hell) at approximately 6800 feet. 
The motto of this race is "A Glimpse of Heaven, A Taste of Hell."  Holy smokes, I like that.

The TRT Endurance Runs include a 50K, 50M, and a 100M, so your elevation gain differs between each event.  Nonetheless, it sounds like those mountains are brutal, regardless of the distance.

Still, I think the views are worth it.  The TRT is now officially on my bucket list.

I have to thank Megan over at Running Aimlessly for bringing this race to my attention.  She just ran the 50-miler this past weekend, and ROCKED IT.  This is her second 50 mile event, and she's run five marathons and five 50Ks.  You guys should go check her out.  She's totally bad-a**.


What races are you excited for?


RAR!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE how this made your list. Let me know if you end up doing it! I'll be there for sure :)

    ReplyDelete