Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Wishlist Wednesday: Sogonapmit Marathon

I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about races.  Seriously, if I could race very weekend, I would. On Wednesdays, I post about races that I wish/hope/dream I will/could run in the future.  Whether or not I am physically capable of completing some of these races is a different story altogether!


Wishlist Wednesday: Sogonapmit Marathon



I had never heard of the Sogonapmit Marathon until last week.  But as soon as I learned about it, I knew I wanted to run it.  Why?  Because the Sogonapmit Marathon is not just a marathon.  Its a race.

Now, hold on, you may say.  Aren't all marathons races?  Well, yes.  But most people running a marathon are usually just competing against themselves: trying to hit a certain time, trying to PR, trying to qualify for Boston, or just trying to finish.  And while I recognize that competing against yourself is completely legit and totally bad-a**, here's what I like about the Sogonapmit Marathon: you aren't just competing against yourself.  You are also competing against 2,000 half-marathoners.  

Huh?

Ok, here's the race details: At the butt-crack of dawn (literally - the marathon starts at 3:20 AM), you take off and head towards the start of the half-marathon.  You have 2.5 hours to get there and head back before the gun goes off, and the half-marathoners hit the course.  You spend the next 13.1 miles trying to stay ahead of the fresh legs that were probably just waking up when you started your marathon.  

I don't know about you, but to me that sounds super fun.

Whats also super fun is that the first half of the race (the half where you are stumbling running in the dark) is all uphill.  Oh wait, thats not the fun part.  The fun part is that the second half of the race is ALL DOWNHILL.  Aka, super fast.


Course Map and Elevation

Technically, this race is the Timpanogos Half Marathon.  The Sogonapmit Marathon is just double that (duh), an added "challenge" for the crazies: start at the finish line of the half, run to the starting line, then head back to the finish.  Bonus: the bing is pretty cool too.

via RunItFast.com

The Sogonapmit Marathon and Timpanogos Half Marathon will be held on July 27, 2013 in American Fork, Utah.  Registration opens Thanksgiving Day.

  

RAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment