Tuesday, September 18, 2012

When a Run Rewards You

Today was just one of those days.  I DID NOT feel like running.  For one, I haven't been sleeping well the past few nights, so when my alarm went off at 4:45 this morning, jolting me out of dreamland for an early run, I instead bludgeoned the alarm clock to smithereens, rolled over, and went back to sleep.


Basically. (src)

Then there was the weather.  Thunderstorms, flash floods and even a tornado warning!?!  Gee whiz, DC.  Everything had calmed by the time we got home from work, but I was still not feeling up for a run.  Instead I wanted to snuggle with my little Nugget and eat a tub of ice cream.

I can't believe he's 2!!

I mentioned my lack of motivation to DJ Research, saying I probably wasn't going to go for a run, to which  he responded with the most inspirational pep-talk I have ever heard: "Ok."  But he said it in such a disappointed voice that I knew I needed to get my butt out there.  I can always count on DJ Research to make me feel bad for skipping a run.

So I got dressed and headed out for a 3 mile run, half of what I was "scheduled" to do on my training plan.  About 2.5 miles in, I realized that I felt good.  No, I felt great.  Really great.  I should just keep going.

And keep going I did.  I ran the scheduled 6 miles I was supposed to at a 8:41 m/m, which I will take considering it was dark out and I was running with a head lamp (and thus had to slow down a little so Miss Graceful wouldn't trip).  Its the second fastest 6 miles I've run this year.  

I love when a run rewards you.  If you give just a little when you feel like you don't have much, sometimes you get so much more in return.  In running and in life.


What's been your most rewarding run recently?  What's been most rewarding in your life lately?


RAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment