Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Memorial Day Family Fun Streak!


Earlier this week, the DJ and I decided it was high time our family unit went for a family run.  We have not run together as a family yet this year, and its already the end of May.  A Memorial Day family fun run would be the perfect way to kick off the summer.

Well, a fun run would be fun, but why fun run when you could do something more fun than a fun run?  (say that 10 times fast).  Whats more fun than a fun run?  A FUN STREAK!!

Streaking!

Yup, we decided to streak it.  Which does not mean we ran naked (my college days are over, my friend.  Not that I ran naked in college.  Hi mom!).  DJ Research and I are joining the Runner's World Summer Running Streak where we will be running (at least) one mile a day from Memorial Day to July 4th.  Thats 38 consecutive days of running.  This challenge is exactly what I need to get me out of my post-race blues (more on that later).

The night before our fun run streak, we laid out our running clothes and set the coffee maker.  Then we packed snacks for Nugget, got his sippy cups ready, chose his clothes, packed an extra change of clothes/diapers, and put the stroller in the car.  (Its amazing that someone more than half our size requires twice as much stuff!!)

We knew it was going to be a hot one, so we wanted to hit the trail early.  We were hoping to leave our house by 7:00am, but didn't actually get out the door until 7:30am.  We were on the trail by 8:00am.

Lake near the trail

And by trail I mean a paved trail under lots of tree cover.  The day was not yet uncomfortably hot, and it was particularly cool under the tree canopy.  The plan was to run 4 miles total: 2 miles out, 2 miles back.  DJ Research took stroller duty first, which I prefer because it gives my body a chance to loosen up before I have to push.

I felt we started strong, but the DJ informed me that we were actually quite slow (I'm so bad at assessing my pace!)  Regardless, it was great to be running with the Hubs again!!  We picked up our pace at the end of mile one, and suddenly we were at the turn-around and it was my turn for stroller duty!  I really wanted a negative split, so I tried to push hard on the return.  Mile 4 we averaged a 9:03 pace, and that was with hills!  I'm happy with that speed, and it gives us a bar to set future stroller runs against.

After our run, we freed Nugget from the confines of his stroller to roam around, rock-throw and bubble-blow.  Because a fun streak really isn't fun unless you are streaking with bubbles.

RAR! 

This is belated, but I hope you had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.  Thank you to all the men and women out there who have served and are serving our country!  Our family unit salutes you!



RAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment