Monday, June 25, 2012

My First 5K...Virtually

On Sunday I ran my first 5K...virtually.

Recently I learned that Running, Loving, Living was hosting a virtual 5K for the week of June 18-25th.  "Whats a virtual 5K?" you may ask, as well you may.  A virtual race is run on a course of your choosing, as long as you complete the race requirements.  Since I registered for a virtual 5K, I needed to run 3.1 miles.  By completing the distance, I will be entered into a drawing for a variety of awesome prizes.  By blogging about it, I get my name added for another entry into the raffle.  And I need all the help I can get, because I never win anything.

I learned about virtual races a few weeks ago when I signed up a virtual half-marathon hosted by Moms Run This Town (which is also an awesome blog title, no?)  This virtual race will be "officially" held on July 28th, but you can run it any day in July and be eligible for prizes and bling (you can still sign up for this race, and I highly suggest you do!  Just click on the link above).  Since I have another race on July 28th, I will be running my virtual half-marathon in early July.  I am very excited.

But back to my first virtual 5K.  The weather was hot, but not suffocatingly so like it had been the past few days.  I decided to take Nugget with me since he had been asking about a "wun-wun?" all week.  Thankfully, he loves to "wun-wun" now, though we still haven't run farther than 4 miles.  

Ready to wun-wun!


I chose a route that is I am very familiar with AND that is all sidewalk AND that does not pass the local playground.  I've made that mistake before, and had to contend with a whining toddler asking for "Wheeee?!?" the entire run.  I was planning to end at the playground, but he didn't need to be reminded that there is   a "wheeee!!" in the vicinity until I was done with my run.

The plan was to run easy, but I was feeling pretty good, so I ran hard for myself.  My efforts were rewarded as I crested the top of the one steep hill on the course.  "Very impressive!" exclaimed a walker as she graciously stepped aside to let us pass.  I was panting pretty hard so I could only smile lamely in response, but she definitely motivated me for the rest of my run.  Thank you for the encouragement!

Mile 1: 8:35
Mile 2: 9:11
Mile 3: 8:29

My Garmin decided to shut off at exactly 3 miles, so I had to DJ Research had to do the math in his head to determine my pace for the last .1 mile.  I ran 3.1 miles in 27:06 minutes at 8:44 m/m.  Thats a stroller PR for me!  I'll take it!

Of course, we ended at the "Wheee!" where Nugget didn't go down the slide at all.


















Thank you Running, Loving, Living for hosting this virtual 5K!  It was lots of fun and I look forward to running more...virtually!...in the future!



Have you run a virtual race?



RAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment